Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Morning Glories

Obviously, I don't paint every day. I didn't even know people COULD paint every day... except Norman Rockwell, who apparently painted 8 hours a day, 365 days a year... and his family brought him lunch, and had to beg him to join them for Christmas, birthday celebrations, etc. We all love his work, and that was his living. Painting was his LIFE. I've been on a lot of blogs, and websites lately, and I see that a lot of artists out there paint every day, AND have a life, full of family, travel, music, love, faith, and fun. You all have inspired me. This is my first painting. (I won't count the 'project' we had to complete in art class my senior year of high school - acrylic, anyway, a blank canvas, and instructions to 'paint something...whatever you want'. I painted dogwood blossoms on a spring green background, very blurred, and very ethereal...by accident, of course. My mom liked it.) At some point in everyone's life, you realize that you're running out of time, and it hits you that you will never be able to do all the things you want to do, or finish all the projects you've started, or dream of starting. You'll never be really good at everything you may have the talent or proclivity to do, and then you actually start losing the ability to do a lot of the things you once did really well! Like backwards walkovers. I used to be able to do a backwards walkover any time I wanted to. It was fun. I can't do that any more. So, when my husband understood my panic last year about 'not being good at anything' - other than laundry and being a mom (and the miriad of things that go along with that - most of which we do because we HAVE to...and because we love our family, of course) he insisted that I FINALLY do something with my art. I took a class, and this is what happened. Morning glories. I really like it. It was easy for me. And that's when it hit me. This is what I'm supposed to do... and maybe if I hurry, and learn quickly, and ask a lot of questions, I may catch up with where I would've been had I realized it sooner....(sigh)....then again, maybe I'm not behind at all. Maybe I'm right where I'm supposed to be. I'm learning. Not just to paint, but to be okay with the journey I'm on and the life I have, and one day, maybe, hopefully, I will paint - and perhaps even finish - a painting every day! I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment